Monday, April 9, 2012

An Egg-stra Special Day

Happy Monday!  I hope you had a fantastic Easter and got to spend the day with people you love!  We visited a local garden to take some pictures of my daughter in her Easter dress and I am looking forward to creating a mini-book about them.  However, I have a long backlog of projects I want to get done first!  It seems I don't have enough time to keep up with the constant flow of creative ideas!  Especially with a daughter verging on toddlerhood!  I am planning on going away for a Scrapbooking Weekend in May and maybe I'll catch up then!


So today's project IS Easter related.  A few weeks back we took my daughter to her first Easter Egg Hunt.  It was at a beautiful resort on the Cape.  First we had breakfast in their mansion (ooh!) met the Easter bunny (uh?!) and then hunted for eggs in the cold drizzle (yup, hard core scrapbooker!)  Despite the poor weather we had a fantastic time and the photos turned out rather nice so I felt the event deserved special treatment.



This is a case where the products make all the difference!  The adorable carrot patterned paper and the green striped papers are both Bo Bunny.  The burlap paper is from Michaels' Recollections brand.  The green letters in the title are Pink Paislee.  This layout was easy to put together once I figured out what I wanted.  I started with a sketch from http://letsscrap.ning.com/:




I stayed pretty close to the sketch.  However, I printed out 4 x 6 and 4 x 4 photos which turned out to be to big and I had to trim them down to make them fit.  


I always use Microsoft Word when I scrapbook to make photo collages because you can use the Page Setup feature to make your document any size you want and resize the photos to fit as needed.  Then when I print and change the page size back to whatever paper I happen to be printing on.  For this page I created two 4 x 10 strips of photos and matted each on a slightly larger scalloped mat.  I also inked the scallops to make the collage stand out from the rest of the page.




I used the same green striped paper, but with the stripes going vertically to create my grass borders which I punched using a Fiskars edge punch.  I also hid some eggs in the grass in different pastel colors.




All my pictures were printed in color except for the one of my daughter and I in front of the mansion.  This got special treatment using an app called Color Splash Studio.  I converted the photo to black and white then added back only certain colors.  I did this to show that although the day may have been gray and dreary, we brought color to it!   


I journaled in strips of the burlap paper which I first inked the edges of.  I did this to let the carrot patterned paper show through because I love it!  It also adds interest to the journaling and draws the eye to the story.






The title letters were die cut using my Sizzix and a DieNamics letter die.  I then inked the edges of the letters (a VERY tedious process but so worth it) using a makeup applicator and brown dye ink.  The Pink Paislee paper I chose had a pretty lacy pattern on it and the letters came out looking like decorated Easter eggs.




My final touches were 3 fussy-cut eggs lying in a patch of grass.  I placed eggs in three places on the page, creating a visual triangle that draws the eyes around the page.  The little grass patches are actually the "throwaways" from when I punched my grass strips.  They were the perfect size!


And that is my baby girl's first Easter Egg Hunt!  This layout was so much fun to create!  Tomorrow I'll be back with my first vintage-inspired layout (I'm usually more whimsical) which I am putting the finishing touches on now.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment